Inaugural Research Meeting
13th February 2013, 1 – 3pm, ICOSS Conference Room
Bring your own lunch!
You are cordially invited to contribute to the inaugural research meeting of dis/ability studies at the University of Sheffield. We are a group of academics, postgraduate and post-doctoral researchers who are interested in inter-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary engagements with the theorising of disability and challenging the conditions of disablism: the exclusion of people with physical, sensory and cognitive impairments. Some of our interests include (though not exclusively):
• Developing social theories of disability and disablism;
• Promoting participatory and user-led approaches to research;
• Encouraging dialogues between distinct disciplines e.g. medicine and the humanities
• Connecting critical disability studies debates with other transformative arenas including feminist, queer and postcolonial studies
• Challenging institutional practices of community, education, health and social welfare to be more inclusive.
During this research meeting in February we are asking for contributors to give 15 minute presentations on their research which will be followed by 15 minutes of supportive and productive discussion. Our philosophy is to be supportive and inclusive in order to learn from one another.
If you are interested in presenting please contact either Dan Goodley (email@example.com) or Brendan Stone (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 30th January 2013. We will then put together the programme and inform people.